We have been taught not to talk to strangers but did you know that in this day and age, you can get paid to be an online friend!?
When I first heard this, I immediately felt suspicious and thought it was some dodgy sleazy scam.
But then I did some research, spoke to a few people, and discovered it is entirely possible to get paid to be an online friend.
Since we are all glued to our phones nowadays, we might as well make something out of it. Getting paid to be an online friend is a great way to start a side hustle and save money.
Fret not, this job doesn’t involve any dodgy activity.
There’s always the right way to do things and this article is going to tell you how to get paid to be an online friend, where to get clients, how much you can earn and the best tips to protect your safety!
Article Table Of Contents:
- Best Get Paid To Be An Online Friend Apps And Websites In 2021
- How Do You Get Set Up As An Online Friend?
- How Much Can You Get Paid As An Online Friend?
- How Do Virtual Friends Work And What Is Expected Of You?
- What Services Do You Offer As An Online Friend?
- Get Paid To Be An Online Friend- Safety Tips
- Tips To Earn More Money As An Online Friend
- Get Paid To Be An Online Friend – FAQs
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you.
Quick Money Alert!
Did you know you can make money taking surveys with Survey Junkie?
You can earn $3 – $7 per survey and it’s FREE to join!
It takes less than 1 minute to sign up for Survey Junkie here, so you can start making extra money online now!
Related Posts on Getting Paid To Be A Virtual Friend
- Get Paid to Chat Online
- Get Paid to Be An Online Friend
- Get Paid to Give Advice
- Get Paid to Talk to Lonely People
- 21 Ways To Get Paid To Text Flirt, Talk And Chat In 2021
- Get Paid for Giving Relationship Advice Online
- Get Paid To Chat: Tricks To Make Money Talking Online
- Get Paid to Give Relationship Advice Online
How To Get Paid To Be An Online Friend (5 Ways)
These are five ways to get paid to be an online friend:
- Rent A Friend
- Rent A Local Friend
- Rent A Cyber Friend
Rent a Friend is deemed to be the best because they have the largest database of users and is a genuine website for individuals to find virtual friends.
Emphasizing purely platonic friendship services, it has more than 600,000 people looking to have a friend for a day.
Virtual friends connect on this platform as they focus on in-person meetups but also allow you to limit yourself to a virtual friend only.
How Much Can You Get Paid?
So, how much does rent a friend pay? You’re free to set your rate between USD15 to USD50 per hour.
- They don’t take a commission from you so you can keep all your earnings.
- Trustworthy website to start earning money as an online friend
- RentAFriend is not a dating platform, you don’t have to text flirt chat if you don’t want to.
- You can only be contacted by paying members of the website.
- You can set your own working schedule.
- You can’t do background checks on other users.
- The company is not held accountable for any security issues if you are meeting someone in person is under your own judgment.
Rent a Local Friend is recommended by Tripadvisor and is a site that promotes the local people of a city and is similar to other friendship sites mentioned in this list.
Potential clients would be the people who travel to your city. So, if you live in London, and are looking to get paid to be an online friend UK, this platform is right for you!
The concept is more or less like Airbnb’s tour package but with this site, you can control your page on the platform.
On this platform, among the job scope for virtual friend jobs are:
- Text chat with someone from the same city.
- Give online classes
- Share your culture and local experience chatting online
- Be a remote concierge, giving tips and traps to max out travelers’ local travel experience!
Also, if the city you reside in is a popular travel destination, you can register as a travel agent.
How Much Can You Get Paid?
There are many users on this site and they typically charge between USD50 to USD200 per hour. Some users managed to chunk up to USD120 per day!
- Less competition for you thanks to the annual fee.
- Fewer scammers than Rent a Friend.
- A great easy way to make some side money while talking about your city!
- An annual fee of USD100 to get the ball rolling so use the features to their full potential!
- You won’t get many clients if your city or town is not popular or unknown to tourists.
Rent a Cyber Friend is a site that offers a total virtual friend service. The concept of this site is similar to having pen pals and is a great place to find virtual friend jobs.
However, there are other kinds of services offered besides finding a new virtual friend, posted in the form of gigs such as a language tutor or tour guide.
If you visit their activities page, you can find the most common activities people are looking to learn from their virtual friends, such as:
- Arts and crafts
- Books and Literature
- Cooking and baking
- Etiquette and social interaction
And, many more! So, this is a great place for anyone that has skills, hobbies, and also wants to get paid to also be a virtual friend in their spare time!
Also, you don’t have to be a certified professional of any skill, in this platform people are also looking for mentors, people that have had life experience.
One cool example is this person, who is ready to listen to you, and offer you caring mom or sister advice. So, if you think about it, even your sweet grandma could work as a virtual friend 🙂
How Much Can You Get Paid?
You’re free to set your rate between USD15 to USD50 per hour. You can withdraw your money once it has reached USD75.
- The Basic Membership is free of charge (but you can sign up for their Gold, Silver or Bronze Membership after, if you want).
- You can view other users without signing up first.
- 100% virtual friendship website, perfect for those who don’t want to meet in person.
- If you are an unregistered visitor, you can’t post a gig. You can only buy gigs.
Fiverr is a large marketplace for freelancers who offer services such as web service, writing services, digital marketing, and the list goes on.
Nevertheless, most people are unaware that with this site, you can get paid to be an online friend too. It’s called Fiverr friendship. All you have to do is sign up, create a profile, and start to chat online, just like the other websites listed in this article.
As for packages, it is up to you what you would like to offer, and how much to charge, for example, you could even offer video game playing sessions, just like this Fiverr did:
How Much Can You Get Paid?
A quick review of Fiverr indicates users charge lower than the average fees compared to other websites – between USD5 to USD25. Although that doesn’t mean you can’t charge more.
- Comes with verified payment options so you can get paid in your currency.
- Extremely easy to navigate and fix your fees.
- You can personalize your services and create appealing packages for different budgets
- Fiverr will take a small commission from users.
- It is possible you will need to charge less to compete with other Fiverrs’, however, once clients trust you and leave good reviews you can start charging more!
Friend PC is a website where you can be an online friend and get paid to complete tasks. You can play games with your friends, or even be an online coach and help someone improve their social skills.
One of the best things about this company is that it guarantees to pay each user after completing the tasks you were booked for, so you won’t have to wait until a specific day or end of the month to get paid!
Note – This website encourages the services of virtual girlfriends. If that is something you think you could do, I have an article about getting paid to text flirt, where you can learn how to get paid to talk to lonely men and earn some extra cash in your free time.
How Much Can You Get Paid?
You will usually get paid between USD5 to USD30. But, you can charge more if you want.
- You get paid immediately after your complete your friend’s tasks
- You can set your own schedule and rates.
- It is free to create a profile and start earning money
- You can block and report clients who misbehave
- ANTI SCAM, you can only get contacted by clients who have paid FriendPC for your virtual friend services.
- FriendPc takes a 30% commission fee for the free starter package. For a 10% commission fee, you should pay the professional friend package ($10 bi-monthly) or for a 0% commission fee the best friend package ($25-trimonthly).
What Is A Virtual Friend?
A virtual friend is someone who you befriend over the internet. You’ll never meet them in person and interactions happen online.
We all have virtual friends, I bet you have loads of Facebook friends you have never met in person. They are also considered virtual friends
However, in this case, you’re going to get paid to be someone’s friend and interact like how you would with a long-distance best friend.
The video chats can be about anything from movies, books, cats weather, politics, or global warming – anything under the sun.
Connecting with someone on a personal level is important to us as humans. Thanks to the internet, it can now be done virtually!
How Do You Get Set Up As An Online Friend?
1. Create A Profile
To get paid to be an online friend, you first have to sign up with the website of your choice. In the profile, give a summary of yourself and a hint of your personality.
Be honest and genuine when writing your profile, because honesty attracts possibility.
2. Emphasize On Unique Features
Do you speak multiple languages? Play the didgeridoo? A tarot card reader? Don’t sell yourself short! Include all your talents or unique abilities to set yourself apart from your competitors.
3. Add Your Financial Details
It’s pretty easy to get your payment after the service is delivered. You can set up a PayPal account or provide your bank details so that the company can wire the money to you electronically. Either way, you’ll get your payment immediately once the job is done.
4. Pass The Personality Test
The purpose of these tests is just to help you connect with the right kind of people. Just be yourself and be honest about who you are, and you’ll ace this!
5. Waiting Game Begins
Now you have your profile ready and approved, what’s next?
At this stage, your profile is visible to the friend seekers. They will be able to search based on demographic factors such as age, gender, location as well as the special skills you’ve enlisted.
The interested individual will send a message, and you have the liberty to either reject or accept their request to get paid to be a friend online.
Once you’ve accepted someone’s request, you can start the conversation through any of these platforms:
- Text message
- Phone call
- Video chat through Skype
- Talk in a chat room
How Much Can You Get Paid As An Online Friend?
How much can you get paid to be an online friend depends on the site you choose, some will have a flat rate per client while others give you the freedom to customize your rate.
However, if you choose the latter, these sites typically retrieve a certain commission from your earnings.
Here’s a calculation of your potential earnings, according to rentafriend.com, based on the common figure people charge per hour:
If you work for 8 hours, 3 days a week, and charge USD20 per hour:
If you work for 8 hours, 5 days a week, and charge USD20 per hour:
I don’t know about you but to me, this sounds like decent money that can cover your bills and fund your travels!
Note- If you like chatting and you speak English, you could very well get paid as an online teacher!
I started as an online teacher with NO experience and the online schools just needed someone to practice chatting in English with their students. No lesson plans or grammar corrections are necessary!
The best way to learn a language is to practice it, by chatting away with other people!
If you are interested you can do a quick 120-hour online teaching course ( I did this one! ) and right after I started working as an online teacher, who got paid to chat in English!
Once you take the course, you can get hired by these online schools:
- 31 Best Online Teaching Platforms Hiring Now
- 17 Online Schools Hiring Non-Native Speakers
- How To Become an Online Teacher In One Week
- How I Earned $6,000 A Month As An Online Teacher
How Do Virtual Friends Work And What Is Expected Of You?
So, how do virtual friends work and what is expected of you?
Just like any other membership site, you have to register and create a profile with companies or websites that offer this service.
Once you do that, you will be tested, but not on general knowledge or anything. These companies just want to talk to you to see if your personality suits this job.
Since this is going to be your business, you have to have a unique selling proposition for yourself. That’s why setting up your profile is an important step as it’s the first thing your potential clients will see.
If you have any talent or a unique ability, list them down on your profile. It’d be a bonus if you can speak foreign languages or are knowledgeable about various fields.
This virtual friendship should be platonic which means, no romantic elements or illegal activities. However, after the paid friendship term has ended, it’s totally up to both parties to decide how to define their friendship.
While it’s a fact that money is your main goal, being a virtual friend could also bring new knowledge and experiences. You’ll meet people from all over the world with different ethnicities and cultures.
What Services Do You Offer As An Online Friend?
If you are still confused about what services do you offer as an online friend, here are some ideas to inspire you and get a clearer picture of this job:
- Chatting about the person’s problems with their work or student-life
- Playing video games with them.
- Watching and analyzing a Netflix movie
- Listen about their heartbreak or sentimental problems
- Teach them how to: sing, paint, cook, flirt with girls/boys, etc.
- Share a hobby such as gardening
- Be a workout buddy
- Learn English or other languages you can teach
However, no matter what kind of service you offer, you should know this work is not for everyone.
If you want to be an online friend, you should ask yourself if you can:
- Listen to people without interrupting them consistently
- Be empathetic
- Enjoying meeting strangers
- Curious to learn about other cultures or life experiences
- Good at coming up with different topics to talk about
Also, are you good at setting boundaries?
This is important as sometimes clients may want to take things further or get confused and want to go beyond a virtual or platonic friendship.
If this occurs you should be able to speak out firmly and only do what you feel comfortable with.
Get Paid To Be An Online Friend– Safety Tips
It’s no doubt that the internet can sometimes be a scary place so, here is a list of safety measures for you to follow:
- Avoid revealing your personal information such as home or work address, social security number/identity card number, and mobile number.
- If the site asks for money upfront, run.
- Look for secure sites – the ones with a lock symbol at the beginning of the URL address, especially on the payment sites.
- Don’t agree to an in-person meet-up if you’re not up for it.
- Trust your instinct
- If at any point you feel uncomfortable, feel free to end the friendship.
- Read other users’ online reviews before you start.
Is It Legal To Be A Virtual Friend Online?
Yes, it is legal to be a virtual friend online. A virtual friend exists purely to offer companionship, so there is nothing illegal about trying out some online friend services to earn some money.
While a virtual friend might be someone you make up on the Internet, most virtual friends are actual people with whom you communicate or play games.
When it comes to the exact job scope, consider what you do with your usual friends while you are online. This is how you should treat everyone you encounter on the platform.
Males and females may approach you, and it is critical that you share your common interests so that you have something to chat about. That way, you may make online friends with whom you truly have interests, and things are more likely to go smoothly with no hiccups.
Being a virtual buddy is strictly platonic, and if somebody asks for anything more, such as filthy banter, you may politely decline, end the relationship with this virtual friend, and get their profile reported to the support team on the site.
Why Do People Hire Virtual Friends?
People hire virtual friends because it’s convenient. A report from Pew Research Centre shows that approximately 57% of teens have met their friends online. The internet has become a convenient place for people to connect with like-minded individuals and find an online virtual friend.
Many people believe that having a cyber friend is unimportant.
It has been said that online friendship are not as genuine as real-life friends. For example, when your annoying aunty arrives, the friend made from online friendships is not going to help you ensure your bathroom is free from even the tiniest speck of dust, unlike a local friend who lives nearby.
However, online friends, on the other hand, can help you out when no one else would. When no one else is interested in your achievements, online friends can help you celebrate them. When no one else will, a virtual friend may be a source of encouragement.
Your virtual friend online, in essence, may fill a critical need in the environment today. They can serve as a virtual village for you and there is nothing wrong with it. Just because some of your online friends reside in separate time zones, it does not make them any less important.
It is simpler than ever to make a virtual friend on the internet now that Instagram exists. You can easily connect with a virtual friend online with a short drop into the DM’s. If the internet is beneficial for anything, it is uniting like-minded individuals who might otherwise never meet.
However, as I have discovered through my online friendships, the greatest method to create friends online is when it is secure, respectful, and meaningful for both parties.
Tips To Earn More Money As An Online Friend
Are you ready to get paid to be an online friend? Great! However, how will you get recurring clients as virtual friends? And, how can you earn more money? Here are some tips to succeed as a virtual friend!
Tips to be a book out a virtual friend and earn more $$$:
- Get as much experience as you can: sign up on different websites, and talk to people of different ages and cultures, this will teach you how to converse better and become a better listener.
- Have different hobbies, or read different things, people like to talk about different topics, and learning about matters they didn’t know existed, this will make you look more interesting.
- Be genuinely interested in their life and culture, even though this is a job people will notice if you just want the money, instead show empathy, learn about their culture and be a genuine listener.
- Learn some jokes, be fun, dance with them online, or analyze what makes them laugh and relax. Every friend that makes you laugh is gold, if you do this you will be popular, and always have people looking to talk to you.
- Diversify, try out as many legit platforms as you can, this will help you understand which platform suits you best but also have more clients.
- Don’t be lazy when creating your profile, be detailed about your hobbies and interest, instead of just saying I like music, write what type of genre, if there is a song that you love, or if you’re listening to french music to learn french!
- Ask your client what they want, setting aside things you don’t like to do. It is always wise to ask if there is anything your client would like to do, sometimes they might be shy, so this is an opportunity to show genuine interest.
How Much Can You Earn As A Virtual Friend?
According to the various friend renting platforms, generally, online friends charge between USD20 to USD30 per hour, but it can go up to USD50. The more you work, the more you earn.
Most people work an average of 20 hours a week, so you should be able to earn between USD2,000 to USD3,000 per month. Now with this kind of salary, who doesn’t want to get paid for being a friend?
Similar to any other business, you shouldn’t charge too high when you begin. Get some experience and then, you can increase your rate as your experience grows.
Another great thing about working as an online friend is that you are your own boss. Think about lunch or commuting costs that you can avoid by working online, from the comfort of your home.
Once you’ve built a steady database of friends, chances are, you’ll be recommended to newcomers too!
Where Can I Get Paid To Be A Virtual Friend?
These are the best get paid to be online friend apps and websites in 2021:
All of these are legit sites where people search for platonic friendships and you get paid for offering different virtual friend services, such as playing online games or giving relationship advice.
Can I Get Paid To Be An Online Listener?
Yes, you can get paid to be an online listener, online companion, or online friend using sites such as RentaCyberFriend or RentaLocalFriend, some sites even paid immediately after completing tasks such as FriendPC.
Also, in general, to start getting paid as an online listener or virtual friend, you just need to:
- Create a profile
- Include anything that helps you stand apart from the rest
- Add your financial details
- Pass the personality test (on some websites, you don’t need to do this, Fiverr for example)
- Wait for your potential friends to approach you
Is RentAFriend Safe?
Yes, RentAFriend is safe to use. Many people have earned money and hired virtual friends and friends for in-person events.
It is also a great place to find clients from different places, so if you are looking to get paid to be an online friend in UK jobs, you can use this website to find clients in the UK!
However, the site does not provide background checks on other users, therefore don’t give personal information that could affect your security.
If you choose to meet in person, take safety measures just as telling your friends, and family where you’re going to be, and don’t be in lonely places.
Can I Get Pid To Text Chat?
If being a virtual friend interests you, you could also check my article 21 Ways To Get Paid To Text Flirt, Talk And Chat In 2021, you will find information about the different sites that offer jobs, not only for flirting but also for customer service or marketing!
Some might think it’s bizarre to get paid to be friends with strangers, but this job is legit.
For all you know, while you get paid to talk to lonely people, in a way, you’re helping them deal with social anxiety.
Or when you get paid to message online, you’re accompanying those who lack a social life or are even stuck inside due to mental or physical health issues – a friend in need is a friend indeed!
As long as you don’t compromise your safety, you can get paid to be a friend today.
Related articles on making money from home:
- How To Sell Feet Pics Online – Legal Extra Income! [2021 Update]
- 13 Jobs That Don’t Suck, Pay Well, And Aren’t Customer Service!
- How To Become A Pinterest Manager: The Guide I Wish I Had
- Side Hustles For Single Moms (Earn Over $25 An Hour)
- Selling Candles From Home: An Epic Guide To Get You Started
- Selling Printables on Etsy: An Epic Guide to Make you Passive Income