How much is 6 figures in money?
We all have dreams and aspirations about earning ‘good money’. And there is a certain kudos around someone declaring an income of six figures.
But what do these figures mean in real terms? And what kind of lifestyle does that size of income afford?
Today we’re going to look at:
- exactly what those statements mean
- the people who are making that level of income
- what kind of jobs they hold, and
- what their lifestyles may look like
We will look at what is meant by 4-, 5-, 6-, 7-, 8-, and 9-figure incomes in this article.
- How Much Is 6 Figures in Money? (And 7, 8, and 9 Figures Explained)
- $ 45000 A Year Is How Much An Hour?
- How Much An Hour Is 60000 A Year?
- Freelance Writing Courses That Will Transform You Into A Six-Figure Writer
- How I Increased My Rate From $15 To Over $150 An Hour
- How To Make $1,000 Fast In 6 Simple Ways
Some of the links on here are affiliate links and I may earn if you click on them, AT NO EXTRA cost to you. Hope you find the information here useful! Thanks.
Table of Contents
- What do we mean by a figure?
- How much is 6 figures in money?
- What is a 7-figure income?
- What does an 8-figure income look like?
- What does 9 figures mean?
- Let’s talk about 10 figures!
- What about a 4-figure income?
- How much is a 5-figure income?
Quick Money Alert!
Did you know you can make money taking surveys with Survey Junkie?
You can earn $3 – $7 per survey and its FREE to join!
It takes less than 1 minute to sign up for Survey Junkie here, so you can start making extra money online now!
What Do We Mean By A Figure?
Let’s start by going back to school and quickly review the basics before we get started. A figure is simply a single number. For example 0, 2, 8, 5, 9.
One single number is a figure.
The number 7931 is made up of four figures: 7, 9, 3, and 1.
The number 10 is made up of two figures: 1 and 0.
When somebody says they have a six-figure income, they mean that they earn between $100,000 and $999,999 per year.
The per-year part is key. That is the amount (before tax and other deductibles) that an individual earns in a single year.
As a side note, we don’t include the number of cents in the figures.
So if someone’s income was $1,500.52, that would count as a four-figure income, as the figures after the period don’t count.
Let’s dive right in to find out how much is 6 figures in money.
How Much is 6 Figures in Money?
So how much is 6 figures in money? More than $100,000 but less than $1,000,000 (one million dollars).
And yes, it’s a lot of money!
Some people divide it even further, as six figures is still a huge range of income. While there’s no real consensus on what constitutes low, mid, or high six-figure incomes, common mathematical sense would suggest:
- Low six-figures = $100,000 – $399,999
- Mid six-figures = $400,000 – $699,999
- High six-figures = $700,000 – $999,999
However, when I become a six-figure earner, I won’t be arguing with anyone about how much money is 6 figures!
Why Does Six Figures Matter?
For most people, crossing the threshold to a six-figure income is a milestone, a life goal, a dream. However, this doesn’t always mean someone is bringing home almost a million dollars.
How Much is 6 Figures a Year?
A six-figure income can be anything from $100,000 to $999,999. This is an incredibly wide range of income, which only gets wider the more wealthy you become.
Most people can live comfortably on a much lower income, so this is more of a ‘bragging rights’ income level that many people will never achieve.
Six figures broken into a monthly income would work out from the total income divided by 12 (the number of months per year).
So, if you brought home an annual income of $200,000, your monthly salary would be $16,667.
If you earned $900,000 per annum, your monthly take-home pay would be a whopping $75,000 a month!
So even within the six-figure bracket, two individuals can have wildly differing earnings.
What Does a 6-Figure Lifestyle Look Like?
A six-figure annual salary is obviously a significant income. How far it stretches and the lifestyle it can afford you will depend on several things, including:
- where you live
- the size of your family
- the way you choose to live
- which end of the six-figure scale you are at.
Living in London or New York will require significantly more income than somewhere less iconic.
How much is 6 figures in money can be relative to how costly your lifestyle is on a day to day basis.
For example, a salary of $100,000 would be considered a low income in Silicon Valley, California!
Many of us expect a six-figure income to create for us the lifestyle of our dreams – the fancy car, luxury holidays, expansive and palatial homes.
It should be noted though that even those with a six-figure income can find themselves living paycheck-to-paycheck without sound financial advice and investment.
However, taking a global view, having $100,000 in cash or investments would put you into the top 10% of wealthy individuals in the world.
6-Figure Salary Jobs
Only around 9% of Americans make six figures or more. Despite all the media focus on celebrities and their extravagant lifestyles, this level of income is still very rare anywhere in the world.
Many traditional six-figure-income jobs are in senior management or business ownership and require multiple years of college study.
These qualifications will earn you excellent money, but will also cause you a significant amount of student debt:
- Actuary ($103k+) – Someone who deals with assessing and managing risk and uncertainty
- Surgeons ($250k+) – The specifics of how much any doctor is paid will depend on their speciality and seniority
- Psychiatrists (216k+)
- Dentists ($156k+)
- Computer scientist ($118+)
- Anaesthesiologists ($292k+)
- Financial Managers ($128k+)
Six-Figure Salary Jobs that Don’t Require a Degree
Remember our earlier question: how much is six figures? Not everybody who earns six figures has spent years and years at college at great cost to their future selves.
Some people are born into money. Some people inherit money. Some people win money. Other people work hard.
Bringing $900,000 in from your work is not the same as inheriting $100,000.
Many higher earners work hard to protect their income by diversifying their income streams, creating passive income, as well as making use of long-term, high-yield investments.
According to USA Today in 2018, there were 77 occupations in the US that commanded salaries averaging six figures.
Some of those are listed below. Many require college degrees, but those with an entrepreneurial personality will find they can grow a six-figure business without going to college:
- Bloggers -here’s my guide on how to get started in blogging
- Online Entrepreneurs -here are my articles on how to get started on your entrepreneurial journey)
- Air Traffic Controllers ($124k+)
- Commercial Pilots ($161k+)
- Web Developers ($110k+)
- Business Owners
By including these roles in my list, I am not saying that you can’t do these roles with a degree, or that no one making money on YouTube has a degree!
Obviously many are graduates. I am merely stating that, unlike medicine for example, you can make excellent money in these roles without having graduated from college.
As many of these roles are more towards the entrepreneurial end of the spectrum, it is also vital that you look into the risk versus reward of each career.
More established, traditional jobs often come with reduced risk as you are becoming an employee or working in an established setting or company.
People Who Earn 6 Figures
Looking at people in this income bracket, it would be quite easy to find individuals in the corporate world, or education executives, or medical specialists and find those consistently commanding six-figure incomes.
Looking at the entrepreneurial sector, bloggers and YouTubers are in the two obvious spheres within which you can easily find six-figure earners.
- Edwin Contreras started out with a network of small websites in the late 1990s and learned how to work the software systems of Google.
He then progressed through stages, honing his craft as he began to make small amounts of money from his first blog and products he sold through it.
His move into the health and wellness niche saw him take strides into the six-figure income bracket.
- Rich Ferguson is a highly successful YouTuber, with a channel showing videos of him doing pranks, carrying our social experiments, sharing how-tos and sharing magic tricks.
What Is a 7-Figure Income?
How Much is 7 Figures?
Seven-figure incomes are anything over $1,000,000.
Again, there is clearly a huge disparity between someone earning $1million and another at the top end of the income bracket earning $9million!
You’ll notice that many of the 6-figure jobs are repeated in this section. This is because of the huge overlap at these income levels.
The jobs that would see you bringing in a 7-figure salary include:
- Business Owners
- Social Media Influencers
- Investment Bankers
- Movie Stars
- Fashion Designers
People Who Earn 7 Figures
All individuals in this income bracket are considered to be millionaires and many in this bracket are first-generation rich.
The reality is that those in this bracket with traditional careers won’t always be there. The nature of their income is that when it is coming from their career, it has time-limited earning potential.
However, many others are entrepreneurs, setting themselves up for life, with both active and passive incomes. People such as:
- Rosemarie Groner, or The Busy Budgeter, as she is known online at the personal finance blog she started from scratch in 2015
- Sabrina Philipp, an online business coach, and strategist, now making seven figures from her business
- Tanner Chidester, self-made millionaire, and owner of Fit Warrior and Elite CEOs.
What Does An 8-figure Income Look Like?
How Much is 8 Figures?
The figures are getting beyond most people’s imaginations now!
But an eight-figure income would see someone become a multi-millionaire. These are people with an annual income of between $10,000,000 (ten million dollars) to $99,999,999.
- Movie Stars
- Hedge Fund Managers
- Website Owners
People Who Earn 8 Figures
- YouTuber Ryan Kaji of Ryan’s World channel made $26 million in 2019, making videos of his toy reviews and unboxings. He usually releases a new video every day and these often include his parents and twin sisters. He is currently the highest-earning YouTuber in the world
- Actor Dwayne Johnson made $87.5million in 2019 according to Forbes. He is famous for his action movies such as Fast and Furious and Rampage, plus latterly entering the family movie market with Moana and Jumanji
- Ariane Grande made $72million from her music, merchandise, sponsorships, and other endorsements and work in 2019, with a world tour grossing $146million. She is the highest-paid female celebrity on Forbes 2019 list
- Moz, the SEO community and service provider, founded by Rand Fishkin and now edited by Morgan McMurray brought in $44.9m in 2019
- Tim Sykes, penny trader turned blogger and Instagram star was estimated to be worth $20million in 2019
- Mohammed Salah, Liverpool and Egypt footballer made $95million in 2019.
What Does 9 Figures Mean?
How Much is 9 Figures?
Nine figures is any income number with nine digits in it: $100,000,000 and up.
This is written in words as one hundred million dollars. For most people, a truly unbelievable amount of money.
When you reach this level of income, you are talking about an incredibly select group of individuals across the world. Often they have inherited wealth, or have built on a family business that has exploded. Usually, they are in the tech sector or industry.
However, this level of income (9 and 10 figures) becomes more cloudy when it comes to trying to identify the actual take-home pay of an individual.
For example, Jeff Bezos, founder, president, and CEO of Amazon ( a 10-figure earner) is often reported as making billions of dollars in a single day. That income is usually tied into the company’s stocks and not his actual salary.
9 Figure Jobs
- Tech Company Bosses
- Hedge Fund Managers
- Media Stars
- Pop Superstars
- Elite Athletes
People Who Earn 9 Figures
- Roger Federer, the Swiss-born tennis player made $106 million in 2019
- Ed Sheeran, the British pop superstar earned a reported $110,000,000 in 2019
- Pop sensation Taylor Swift made $185million over 2019
- Media star and heiress Kylie Jenner brought in $170million in 2019.
Let’s Talk About 10 Figures!
How Much is 10 Figures?
Now we have moved into the realm of the few! Ten figures is $1,000,000,000 which is more commonly known as one billion dollars (but occasionally still referred to as one thousand million dollars).
Most of the individuals residing in this section will be worth ten figures and up as ten figures would see them remaining at an income level of one to nine billion.
Many in the list below are worth far in excess of that.
It isn’t really possible to list the jobs that would bring you a ten figure income, beyond describing the jobs and roles that the people below are doing right now: tech giants, philanthropists, heirs and heiresses, and media magnates.
As with a 9-figure income, looking at the annual income of an individual would not give you clear insight into their actual take-home pay.
For example, Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook pays himself just $1 a year, a legal requirement to ensure he remains registered as a legal employee, but he draws no other salary.
This would see him tumble into the category of poverty, with a single digit income!
However, at this level of earnings, that is obviously not the case. Check out this list of other top CEOs who do the same.
People Who Earn 10 Figures
We are talking about a select, but growing, group of people in several industries:
- Jeff Bezos, Amazon founder, CEO, and President
- Bill Gates, entrepreneur, software developer, and philanthropist, best known as the co-founder of Microsoft
- Qin Yinglin, the world’s richest pig farmer and owner of Shenzhen-listed Muyuan Foods
- Alice Walton, the heir to the Walmart fortune
- Eric Yuan, a fairly recent addition to the billionaire’s list and founder of Zoom Video Communications
- Mark Zuckerberg, media magnate, entrepreneur and philanthropist, chairman, chief executive officer, controlling shareholder, and co-founder of Facebook
What About Smaller Figures?
Moving to the other end of the scale, four and five-figure earners are bringing home a much lower amount.
These would often be seen in zero-hours contract work when employees are essentially contracted by an organization but without the guarantee of a set number of hours per week.
When they have no hours, they receive no pay.
These contracts are often cited as unreliable, stressful, and are low-income generators.
What About A 4-Figure Income?
How Much Is 4 Figures?
A four-figure earner would bring home an annual salary of between $1,000-$9,999. This would be considered an extremely low annual income in the US or UK.
It would not provide sufficient income for an individual to live off and would see them living in poverty, were they required to make the regular outgoings expected (housing, food, essential bills).
These are often menial, low-skilled roles that would be outsourced to other countries. The fact they are almost always part-time or zero hours roles also brings down any possible earnings.
Any job in this bracket would usually be paid by the hour and would not often be referred to by an annual income.
How Much Is a 5-Figure Income?
How Much Money Is 5 Figures?
The average salary in the US in 2019 was $40,000 for a full-time, full-year worker.
In the UK, the equivalent income in 2019 was £36,611. Both of these are five-figure incomes.
How much is 5 figures is clear to establish, having done so in all previous categories.
Any income from $10,000 to $99,999 would fall within the five-figure income bracket.
This level of income is more within a normal experience for most of us.
Many graduate and mainstream jobs and freelance careers would see someone bringing in a five-figure income.
Most graduates would start their career at this level, before some migrate up into the six-figure bracket.
5 Figure Jobs
- Childcare worker ($25,510)
- Manicurist ($27,390)
- Nurse ($71,730 starting salary)
- Office worker ($25,000 average)
- Paramedic ($36,043)
- Midwife ($63,000 starting salary)
- Teacher ($60,477 average)
Many jobs requiring college-level study fall into the mid-to-higher end of this bracket, including healthcare professionals, corporate work, banking, and teachers.
Obviously many of these careers can cross over into the six-figure income bracket, particularly once an individual progresses into management roles within their profession.
People Who Earn 5 Figures
Many of your friends and family are likely to be five-figure earners if they work in any of the jobs detailed above.
We may not know many people making a six-figure income, but five figures is significantly more common for most of us.
I think our whistle-stop tour of high earners and what their income looks like has established how much is six figures in money.
We’ve also looked at what kind of earnings many of us can expect to see throughout our working lives.
But if we are talking simply about wealth, we must look at more than just money. Here are a few of my quick ways to help increase your income:
- Pay off your debts
- Live within your budget
- Save your income
- Increase your income
- Look at what highly successful and wealthy people are doing every day
As you can see, the secret to increasing your income and aiming for the six-figure bracket is to diversify your income streams, create passive income, and follow some of the steps detailed above.
Six figures isn’t within the reach of everybody in the world, but there is no reason why you can’t start to try to slowly increase what you bring home every month.