Have you been thinking about selling plants on Etsy as a side hustle in 2022?
Are you a passionate plant lady yourself and wanting to share your love of plants with the world?
Or do you recognise this amazing business opportunity that allows you to work from home and make money selling plants on Etsy? Plants in fact are some of the highest selling items on Etsy.
Perhaps both! Either way, I can help you!
We know the ins and outs of how to sell plants on Etsy.
This guide will help you learn about Etsy, list your plants, sell your plants and ship your plants! So let’s get started.
In this article we will be taking a deep dive into
- What is Etsy?
- What plants you can sell on Etsy
- How to create your Etsy store and list your plants
- How to attract buyers
- Packaging and Shipping your plants
- Bonus helpful tips and tricks to increase sales
Affiliate Link Disclosure
This article contains some affiliate links which means that I may earn a small commission when you click on them, at no additional cost to you. I do hope you find the information in this article helpful!
Alternatively, you can also check out this free Etsy Ebook that will share a list of best-selling products by month and teach you how to capitalize on seasonal trends to skyrocket your Etsy sales.
- How To Get Your First Sale On Etsy With 19 Brilliant Tips 2022
- How To Increase Sales On Etsy (30 Unique Tips!)
- How To Increase Etsy Traffic (And Triple Your Sales!)
- How To Maximize and Increase Your Etsy Conversion Rate In 2022
What Is Etsy?
Etsy is a trusted online marketplace where anybody in the world can establish a store and sell their items.
It is a popular platform to sell craft, handmade items, vintage items, supply and retail items or even digital products.
You can find everything your heart desires from top selling art on Etsy, to rare variegated indoor house plants. Literally everything. It is an incredible global marketplace with millions of visitors each week.
Etsy was established in the US in 2005 and has grown to be a household name. This is helpful if you are considering starting a store as it’s a well known and trusted platform to use.
Etsy listing fees are minimal which is another reason why it is a popular choice for sellers and they offer an easy to navigate help center so you’ll easily overcome any hurdles.
For a new small business, starting out in the world of selling plants on Etsy. You really can’t go wrong with Etsy. One of the most rewarding aspects to your store will be receiving 5 star reviews, testimonials and repeat business.
Which Plants Can You Sell On Etsy?
You might be thinking, is it legal to sell plants from home?
Generally it is legal to sell most plants on Etsy. It is also legal the majority of times to be selling seeds on Etsy. However different laws and regulations can apply depending on your country, state or territory. It’s always important to be aware of your market and the rules that apply to it.
It is best to check for the following information
- Your country’s biosecurity laws and regulations.
- The recipient country’s biosecurity laws and regulations.
- Your courier company’s rules and regulations specifically in regards to transit and delivery of plants or seeds.
In the US for example, some plants and seeds are prohibited to sell and post. These include herbal drugs, and hazardous plant materials such as noxious weeds.
You can find more detailed information on the US Department of Agriculture Website
If you are intending to send plants or seeds to Australia we recommend checking BICON.
If you are buying or selling plants or seeds to or from Canada you should refer to The Canadian Food Inspections website.
And for Europe, Etsy recommends checking the EU Commissions website.
Even if you have checked a plant species or seed type previously. It’s important to check again as biosecurity rules and regulations can change.
How To Create Your Plant Shop On Etsy
So now you’ve decided to start selling plants from home. Here are the steps you need to take to start your online Etsy plant store.
- Decide what type of plants you’d like to focus on. This could be succulents, indoor house plants, rare bulbs or seedings, or even air plants!
- Check out your competition. You’ll want to find out everything that the best Etsy plant sellers are already doing. This means doing some thorough market research. Are their listings attractive? What price are they selling the plants for? What tags are they using?
- Now you just need to set up an Etsy account and open your store. This is very simple and quick to do. You’re nearly ready to sell plants on Etsy!
- Just click on ‘create shop’ and follow the prompts. It couldn’t be easier.
- Once your shop is created you’ll need to consider your policies. This refers to your processing times, shipping policy, delivery charges, returns and exchanges policy. You’ll want these to be as clear as possible to avoid any customer queries or disputes.
- Don’t underestimate the power of your ‘bio’ . We recommend updating this as soon as your shop is created so that buyers can learn a little bit about you.
Part of what makes Etsy so special is that it’s a treasure trove of individual sellers and small businesses.
By sharing a little bit about you and why you are the plant guru to buy from, you are attracting people to your store and creating loyalty in your customers.
- You’ll also need to put your billing terms and payment information so that you can get that income rolling in.
Bonus Tip Incoming!
We recommend using a separate bank account for all your Etsy transactions in and out, just to make things easier and more streamlined for your tax information.
How To List Your Plants For Sale
Etsy makes it easy for you to list your plants for sale. We recommend having about 12 plants to start with but of course more or less is fine!
These are the elements you’ll need for each listing
- Title: This is an important way to attract buyers to your store! Use as many relevant search terms in your title as possible.
- Photos: Make sure your photos are high quality, clear images with a blank background wherever possible. Analyze your competition and make sure your images stand out. You can add up to ten photos so please do, we recommend including
- Close up of the foliage
- Further back picture showing the whole plant
- Close up of the pot and packaging
You might like to also wipe all your leaves down first, all they need is a damp cloth. This gives them a nice, clean, dust-free sheen to them and will really capture them in their best light.
- Category: It is important to have an accurate category for your listings because buyers can filter their search by category. Etsy will offer category prompts so just select the most relevant. Easy as that!
- Description: This is your opportunity to set yourself apart from your competition and include as much information as possible on your plant.
Some buyers can be nervous buying online so they’ll want detailed measurements, description on color and condition and care instructions.
If you’re including a pot and soil please also include these in your description.
- Tags: Tags are really important in driving traffic to your page. You can use up to 13 tags relevant to your item. Such as ‘indoor plant’ ‘plant mom’ ‘succulent’ choose popular tags that are relevant to your listing.
BONUS HOT TIP INCOMING
- Learn about SEO for Etsy. SEO stands for search engine optimization and it is the most helpful tool you can learn for your Etsy Store. Think of Etsy as one big search engine so you really want traffic to be able to find YOUR LISTINGS.
This means putting popular plant search terms in your title and in your listing.
Etsy also allows the use of tags and this can help bring traffic to your store.
How To Ensure Buyers Find YOUR Plants
There are a number of ways to help buyers find YOUR plants and YOUR listings. We’ve touched on a few helpful ways to generate traffic to your store above but here’s some more.
- Use tags, this is a simple way to connect buyers with your store.
- Fit as many search terms in your listing title as you can.
- Ensure your photos stand out
- Make your description as detailed and as accurate as possible.
- Update your inventory regularly and add more plants
- You can use other social media platforms like instagram or facebook to promote your store
- Start a blog
These are all ways to increase traffic to your Etsy plant store! They are fantastic ways to connect you to new customers however you DO NOT need to do them all if you don’t want to! It’s totally up to you.
Packaging And Shipping Your Plants
How do you package a living plant safely?
This is a very important part of your business. You want to ensure your plant will arrive in the same condition you send it so packaging is absolutely crucial.
Most plant sellers will have several layers of protection to their packaging. This can start with newspaper or tissue paper as this will also help absorb any moisture.
Then it is a good idea to do another layer of protection with bubble wrap around the base and pot and then crinkle paper to prop the plant upright in its box and around the leaves.
Note : Here is eco friendly bubble wrap you can use!
Remember not to suffocate your plant as it will still need to breathe in transit. A cardboard box with some air ventilation is a good way to keep your plant breathing while traveling.
It is very important to double check any shipping regulations before you send your plant to ensure you are compliant with up to date laws and regulations.
It is also important to have a complaints resolution process clearly stated on your site with a disclaimer. If your plant arrives in a condition that differs from how you sent it you will want your buyer to get in touch quickly so you can help resolve it.
Bonus Helpful Tips and Tricks To Increase Sales
We trust our guide has already helped you with some fantastic ideas to increase traffic to your site and therefore increase your sales but we aren’t done yet! Lucky you!
Another helpful tip to increase sales is to research what is popular and trending so you can get into that market while it’s hot!
We’ve done the hard work for you and are happy to share with you plants that will sell well
- Variegated Plants
- Snake Plant
Utilize other social media channels to drive traffic to your store. I mean why not? You’ve already taken the beautiful images of your plants so why not share them everywhere you can.
Platforms such as Instagram, Pinterest or Facebook can be a great way to link new buyers to your Etsy store.
Start a Blog. Why not, you’re a plant guru! By sharing your knowledge and care tips you’re providing value to your buyers and reaching a wider audience to send to your Etsy store.
Can I Sell My Plants On Etsy?
So, can I sell my plants on Etsy? Some plants or seeds may be prohibited but generally it is ok to sell your plants on Etsy. Be sure to check current regulations in your area.
Do You Need A License To Sell Plants UK?
No, you do not need a license in most cases to sell plants in the UK. Small business owners generally will not need a license to sell plants however be sure to check up to date laws and regulations in your area.
There you have it. Our complete guide to selling plants on Etsy in 2022. We hope you have found this information helpful.
It can seem overwhelming starting a new business and we understand that. We hope our guide has helped you learn about Etsy, understand what plants you can sell on Etsy and how to set up your shop.
Now you know how to list your plants, draw buyers to your store and increase sales. There’s nothing standing in your way! Your new business awaits you. You can work from home and make some money selling plants on Etsy!