Trying to figure out, how to get a refund on Etsy? I certainly did when I bought a product which was completely different to what was advertised!
I was so annoyed. Turns out, IT IS possible to get a refund on Etsy provided you follow some basic procedures.
I helped my sister to open her first Etsy store, so we needed to learn how to deal with customers and Etsy refund request. Luckily, Etsy has a straightforward refund process for both sellers and buyers, and I’ll guide you on exactly how to get Etsy refund!
As part of Etsy refund policy, consumers are protected under Etsy Purchase Protection. But, not ALL goods are cover under this protection- which I’ll cover in this article, from how to get refund on Etsy to how long does an Etsy refund take.
There are many reasons for buyers to request for refund, you may not be satisfied with the purchase, due to damage or the products or size do not match the description.
Whatever the cause may be, there are instances when a buyer asks for refunds from the Etsy store. Don’t worry, there are simple procedures and steps you can follow so that you can get your rightful refund back!
In this article, I have written down various steps on how to get a refund from Etsy successfully base on my personal experience!
Now, at a glance, here is how to refund on Etsy online by doing the following:
- Login and go to your Etsy account
- Then click on purchases and reviews
- Go to the order that you want to be refunded and click on help with the order
- Next, fill in the detail for help request
- Finally, click send help request
Affiliate Link Disclosure
Some of the links here are affiliate links and I may earn a small commission if you click on them, AT NO EXTRA cost to you. Hope you find the information here helpful.
Why You Might Want A Refund On Etsy
Etsy is an e-Commerce platform that sells goods to consumers. Buyers may ask for a refund in the following 3 cases:
1. If The Goods Are Missing
Sometimes buyers order things on Etsy but for some reason, the goods are not shipped to the buyer. This may be a human error or a machine error. When this happens the buyer can ask for a refund from Etsy.
2. If The Goods Are Damaged
When the buyers receive damaged goods, then a refund can be sought from Etsy. Sometimes, goods are damaged in transit due to handling and transportation. The buyers then want a refund for such damaged goods.
3. If The Goods Are Not According To The Buyers Specifications
Buyers may also want a refund if they receive inaccurate goods. It may happen that the buyer has asked for a particular product but has not received the specified product.
How To Request A Refund On Etsy
You can request a refund online on the Etsy website. You will know how to get a refund on Etsy by following the steps given below:
Step 1: Login to your Etsy account
Step 2: Click on your Profile account Icon (Top right)
If you purchased an item as a guest, you must first create an Etsy account before filing a case.
- Then click on purchases and reviews (Refer to the photo above)
Step 3: Find Order for Refund and Select ‘Help With Order’
You can find your previous orders here. Click “help with order” next to the order you’re not happy with to get assistance.
- Go to the order that you want to be refunded and click on help with the order
Step 4: Fill in the Required Information
Fill in the necessary request detail below. Try to add as much information as you can on “Share any important details that the seller should know”.
When you didn’t receive the item and the seller is unable to demonstrate that it was shipped, you should file a non-delivery claim.
Alternatively, the item may have been delivered to a different address than the one you provided during checkout.
Once submitted a help request, allow seller to respond within 48 hours. Beyond 48 hours, if you are not getting any respond, you can proceed to open a case with Etsy instead.
So let’s say you have submitted for a refund and the seller agrees, how long does it take to get a refund from Etsy?
Typically once refund is issued by seller, it can take anywhere between 3-5 business days. International payment can take up to 30 days.
If Seller Does Not Offer Refunds Open A Case
Are you wondering if can you get a refund on Etsy if the seller isn’t able to issue a refund or you have received no reply from the seller for more than 48 hours?
If the purchase was made under Etsy Purchase Protection, here is how to do a refund on Etsy by ‘Opening a case’:
Open a case on Etsy to issue a refund:
Sign in to your Etsy Account
Click on purchases and reviews (Top right corner)
Go back to the order you have sent the help request and select ‘help with order’.
Note: You can only proceed to ‘open a case’ if you have prior submitted a help request with the seller.
Once you have sent a help request and have not heard back in 48 hours. You will see an option to ‘open a case’ in your order page.
Simply select ‘open a case‘ at the bottom of the page and provide proof in support of your case and submit.
According to Etsy return policy, buyers have 100 days after estimated delivery dates to open a case with Etsy. The sooner you do it the better as it takes time for Etsy to go through your case and process the refund.
Request A Refund Via Email
If you are still wondering ‘how do I get a refund from Etsy‘ with other method, you can try reaching Etsy via E-mail too.
Here are the following steps on
1. Log in to your Etsy account
You can sign in to your Etsy account and follow some simple steps to request your refund.
2. Navigate to the Contact page
The next step is to go to the Contact page on the website.
3. Select your request type from the drop-down menu
Once you open the contact page, you will find a drop-down menu with various options. Choose the option that is most relevant to you.
4. Check out if there is anything relevant in the pop-up window
Check out the options in the pop-up window and choose the best one that is relevant to your case.
5. Select Contact Us by Email
The next step is to click on the Contact us by Email option.
6. Select the relevant topic from the drop-down menu
Check the drop-down menu for the topic that relates to your issue.
7. Type in the Subject and Message
Type the subject of your email. The next step is to write your message clearly and succinctly.
8. Finally, select the Get in Touch button
The final step in the process of how to get refund Etsy through email is to click on the Get in Touch button.
Can You Request A Refund On A Phone Call?
While you can request Etsy to give you a call, they cannot accept refund requests on the phone.
Here is how to get a refund Etsy on a phone:
- To request a call, you must go to your Etsy account and go to the contact page.
- Next check the drop-down menu for a relevant request or message
- Lastly, select the request a phone call button and type your phone number.
You will get a call within 30 Minutes to one hour.
How To Get A Refund On Etsy As A Guest
Sometimes you buy things on Etsy without opening an account. You may check out as a guest after purchasing your product.
When you have checked out of Etsy as a guest and you want to get a refund, replacement, or reshipping of your product it can be done.
For this, you will have to find the email that Etsy sent to you during the purchase of your product. Refunds from Etsy can be full or partial depending on the terms and conditions.
The process for claiming partial refund is the same as the process for claiming full refunds.
- You can go to your email inbox and find the email that she has sent you which contains the order number.
- Note down the order number as you will need it while opening the Etsy account. The order number is sometimes mentioned as the confirmation number.
- The next step is to go to the Etsy account and open a new account or sign in to an existing account. If you don’t have an account you can open a new account by following the instructions on the website.
- Once you have opened a new account on Etsy, your order number will be automatically connected to your new Etsy account.
- You must use the same email account that you used to order your product, for opening a new Etsy account.
Etsy Request Refund Through Paypal
Does Etsy refund through Paypal? Yes, it does, provided the original payment for the product was made via Paypal. It may take 30 days after the refund is approved, to appear on your Paypal account.
Issuing Refund for Digital Products on Etsy
With digital products becoming increasingly popular on Etsy, digital product scams are bound to happen.
This leaves many buyers wondering ‘How do I get a refund on Etsy digital products’ as all digital product sellers have a strict no refund policy once the product is ‘downloaded’.
There are various reasons why you might want to request a refund on a digital product:
- The purchased product is not as described. (e.g: A social media template layout design looked different from the product photos).
- The product does not function (e.g: A digital planner hyperlinked is not working).
- The instruction to access the product is unclear, leading to confusion.
- The product is not compatible with the software’s setup as promised.
If you ever find yourself affected by any of the reasons above, you should immediately message the seller regarding your dissatisfaction.
Most often, digital product sellers will try their best to resolve the issue with the buyers instead of issuing a refund as the product has been downloaded.
However, if you are still unhappy with the response and would like to proceed with a refund, the best way is to open a case and let Etsy resolve the matter.
Under Etsy’s Purchase Protection Program, Etsy will refund buyers for orders up to $250 if there is an issue with the purchase such as:
- The product was never received
- The item ordered is damaged (Only applicable for physical products)
- The product does not match the listing description and photos.
However, for digital content, the refund will be reviewed on a case by case basis. Etsy does not guarantee refunds for purchased digital products- especially if the store states their no request refund Etsy policy.
What Happens After You Request A Refund
Etsy wants all sellers to make their refund and returns policy clear to all buyers.
It must include the following:
- Do the seller’s issue refunds and accept returns?
- What is the timeline for the refunds/returns?
- In case of a return, who bears the shipping costs?
As a buyer, please check the seller’s refund policy first before asking for a refund.
If the seller does not offer a return, Etsy will only help you in case the order was never delivered or the product was misrepresented by the seller.
Once you have submitted your request to the seller, he has to respond within 3 days. If he does not respond within 3 days, then you can take the matter further.
If No Refund Is Received Within 3 Days Escalate The Matter
The seller must respond within 3 days. If he does not respond, then you can escalate the matter.
- Sign in to your account
- Go to purchases and reviews
- Select view case and click on the case you want to escalate
Does Etsy Charge Sellers For Refunds?
Here is an excerpt from the Etsy help page:
“Will Etsy refund my seller fees?
If you refund a buyer through your Shop Manager, your Etsy transaction and processing fees for the refunded transactions are automatically refunded to your payment account. If you also canceled the transaction, your listing fees are automatically credited to your account.”
How To Check The Status Of My Refund
So, you have submitted for a refund request, how long does Etsy take to refund? You can check the status of your refunds by going to your Etsy account
Next, go to purchase and reviews
Finally, go to Contact the shop and you will find your refund status there.
FAQS on How to Get a Refund From Etsy
How Long Do Etsy Refunds Take?
So, how long does Etsy refund take? Typically, Etsy refunds should come into your account within 2 to 5 business days if it is local. It also depends on your card provider. For international refunds, the Etsy refund time could be a month or so.
The refunds will be issued only after the seller has approved and released the refund.
Why Can’t I Refund On Etsy?
Why can’t I refund on Etsy? After 180 days have passed, you can’t refund an order through Etsy Payments. You can make refunds to your customer via any payment system without involving Etsy. However, in this case, Etsy will not refund your seller fees.
Will Etsy Refund Money If Scammed?
Will Etsy refund money if scammed? In most cases, Etsy will refund a buyer’s money if they’re scammed. They will, of course, ask for proof about the good/s purchased and also ensure that it was not delivered to you or did not meet your requirements. Etsy could ask you to raise a dispute through Paypal.
How Do I Get a Refund on Etsy When Seller Is Not responding?
If a seller is not responding after making a refund Etsy request, it is best to open a case on Etsy. Here are the following steps to open a case for refund:
- Go to your Etsy Account
- Click on purchases and reviews
- Select ‘help with order’
- Next, select ‘still need help’ and ‘Yes, I want to open a case’
- State the reason for the dispute
- Provide proof in support of your case and submit.
Does Etsy Always Refund?
So, does Etsy give refunds for all cases? According to the Etsy Purchase Protection Program, Etsy will provide a full refund when the product ordered never arrives, arrives late, is damaged, or does not match the listing description and photos. To request a refund, buyers can first contact the seller on Etsy and if the seller refuses to refund, the buyer can ‘open a case’ to let Etsy resolve the issue instead.
How To Cancel An Order On Etsy?
Wondering how to cancel Etsy order? To cancel an order on Etsy, the buyer must contact the Etsy seller at ‘purchased and reviews’ on the Etsy account. Before canceling, make sure to check the Etsy seller store policy regarding returns, exchanges, and cancellations to ensure you are eligible to still cancel after making an order.
How to Give a Refund on Etsy?
Etsy seller can issue a full or partial refund for an order with the following steps:
- On the Etsy page, open ‘Shop manager’.
- Next, select ‘Order & Shipping’.
- Then find the order you want to refund and click on ‘…’ (ellipsis icon).
- Choose ‘Issue a refund’.
- Then select a ‘Reason for issuing a refund’.
- To refund the full amount, select ‘Issue a full refund’, but if you are only doing partial refund, enter the ‘Amount to refund’ instead.
Lastly ‘Review refund’ and ‘Submit’
How To Get A Refund On Etsy Answered!
There you have it, all the methods on how to request refund on Etsy!
While it may be easy to purchase items on Etsy, it may become a bit complicated when it comes to asking for refunds.
However, if you take the steps mentioned above, it will be a fairly easy process on how to contact Etsy for a refund.
How to get a refund from Etsy? Well, there are many ways to get the refund- directly on the Etsy website, through Paypal, via email, or by phone.
The quickest way to resolve the issue would be to first contact the Etsy seller and if only they cannot resolve the issue, then you may proceed to open a case with Etsy.
If you still find it difficult to ask for a refund, there are professional companies that offer their services to get your refunds.
I hope I covered everything you need to know about how to get refund from Etsy!
- How To Sell Digital Downloads On Etsy: An Easy 6-Step Guide
- How Etsy Tags Can Increase Traffic To Your Etsy Store
- How To Use Pinterest For Etsy to Skyrocket Etsy Sales! 2024
- How To Handle A Negative Review On Etsy In 10 Ways!
- How To Title Etsy Listings So You Sell More!