If you are reading this, it is likely you googled the term ‘ best proofreading jobs online no experience required’.
To be honest, when I started as a freelance proofreader, I did exactly the same!
I didn’t have experience, but I wanted to find all the online proofreading jobs for beginners, so I could get paid from the comfort of my own home.
I am going to walk you through:
- Where to find freelance proofreading jobs for beginners?
- How much can you earn as a freelance proofreader?
- The basics of HOW to become an online proofreader (no experience/degree required!)
Best Sites To Get Remote Proofreading Jobs Online No Experience:
|Proofreading companies||Best For||Apply here|
|Scribbr||Native English speakers with a bachelor degree||Apply here|
|Proofreading Services||People from any country without a degree||Apply here|
|Proofreading job boards|
|Problogger||For blogging content proofreading jobs||Apply here|
|Upwork||For different types of entry level proofreading jobs online||Apply here|
Complete List Of Sites To Get Remote Proofreading Jobs Online No Experience:
- Cactus Communications
- Proofreading Services. com
- Words RU
- Polished Paper
- Book in a Box
- Resume Edge
- Quality Proofreading
- Flex jobs
- People per Hour
- Virtual Vocations
- How to Become an Online Proofreader (9 Easy Steps)
- 11 Proofreading Courses That Will Increase Your Skills And Profit
- How to Become a Freelance Proofreader with No Experience
- 13 Side Hustles For Lawyers [2021 Update]
Quick Money Alert!
Did you know you can make money taking surveys with Survey Junkie?
You can earn $3 – $7 per survey and its FREE to join!
It takes less than 1 minute to sign up for Survey Junkie here, so you can start making extra money online now!
Best Proofreading Jobs Online No Experience Required
In this list you will find 2 types of proofread online sites categories:
- Best proofreading companies to get proofreader jobs;
- Best freelance sites to get proofreading jobs.
You will find opportunities available both for beginner proofreaders and experienced proofreaders.
Plus, I will highlight the top 2 best sites for each category, and a list with multiple other alternatives to get jobs as an online proofreader.
Note: if you want to know how to get some experience so you can increase your rate, please read how I did so below:
Best Proofreading Companies To Get Proofreader Jobs
- Best For: Academic Proofreading
- Basic Requirements: Native English speakers, have a bachelor’s degree, work at least 10 hours a week
- Average pay: $23.43 – $29.29 per hour.
Scribbr is a proofreading company where you can get freelance proofreading jobs from home without experience.
They even offer personalised training to help you improve your skills as a beginner proofreader.
The applications process is quite straightforward, you have to successfully achieve 3 steps which involve:
- Taking a Scribbr language quiz
- Doing a Scribbr application assignment
- Learning and doing tasks on the Scribbr Academy
Note: It is important that you are able to edit US and UK English dialects, as the available work is with those dialects.
How Does It Work?
- You can choose your own schedule;
- Specify your availability and preferred deadlines;
- If needed, receive support from the Scribbr support team;
- Get approved and paid twice per month.
- Best For: General Proofreading services and people without a degree
- Basic Requirements: Can be from any country, you don’t need a degree, just need to pass their 20 min test.
- Average pay: $19 to $46 per hour.
Proofreading services is an excellent company to have a full-time or part-time online proofreader job.
Contrary to Scribbr, this company does not require you to have a degree!
Besides if you don’t only want to edit papers for money in the academic field, this is a good platform for you, as they also offer other proofread online and editor services:
For business clients:
- Website proofreading
- Transcription combined with proofreading and editing
- Proofreading without editing
- Writing and rewriting
For authors clients:
- Manuscript critiques
- Big-picture editing
- Paragraph and sentence editing
- Cover design
- eBook formatting
- Literary translation
If you are interested in any of these services, working in this proofreading company could be an ideal fit to get your first work from home jobs no experience required.
The application process takes 20 mins, if you pass the test, they will contact you shortly to start working.
How Does It Work?
- They don’t assign work, you decide to take the available proofreading projects if you have the availability.
- You get to work with friendly staff to help you when needed.
List Of Companies To Get Job As A Proofreader Online:
- Cactus Communications– Editing for medical documents
- Sibia–Proofreading services for students, professors, authors, and much more.
- Proofreading Services. com
- Words RU
- Polished Paper
- Book in a Box– Editing for books
- Resume Edge– Proofread resumes from home
- Scribbr– Must be a native English speaker to apply (Open to US/Canada/UK/Australia)
- Quality Proofreading– Prefer proofreaders with a background in science, engineering, business, and management.
Job Boards To Find Best Proofreading Jobs Online No Experience Required
Though problogger is a job board mostly for writers, this is one of the first platforms you should see for proofreading jobs.
Just type: “proofreader” or “editors” and there will be opportunities for you.
Here is an example:
Sometimes you won’t find many job opportunities in ProBlogger.
If that happens the other best place to start your freelance proofread and editor career is UpWork!
Upwork is a freelance marketplace where you can find thousands of online jobs no experience required.
Some people love Upwork while others hate it.
However, the reality is that if you search and apply filters you can find good copy editor jobs opportunities.
For example, in this case, I applied the payment verified filter, this will help you see only clients with verified payment, which lowers the possibility of work scams.
However, if you see at this client rating, it has 3 stars, this could mean that it is not so a good client to work with.
But, if we change the filters to sort the clients with the best client rating, woohoo, look what we have found:
Also, if you are a beginner proofreader you can accept low-budget projects to showcase in your portfolio, and then keep increasing your rates as you gain more experience.
Plus, you can gain good client testimonials and show them on your own proofreader website to attract higher-paying clients!
List Of Freelance Sites To Get Job As A Proofreader Online:
- Problogger –A great job board that will allow you to find online proofreading jobs online no experience
- Fiverr– Great range of jobs available
- Upwork– A great freelance job board that will help you find suitable proofreading jobs online no experience
- Flex jobs
- Guru – Has some great proofreading jobs work from home opportunities
- People per Hour – You can find some great proofreading jobs from home on this site
- Virtual Vocations
What Is A Proofreader?
There has been an increased demand for proofreaders, as more and more people are reading information online resulting in a dramatic increase in demand for online content.
The knock-on effect has been an increase in proofreading jobs online no experience required.
A proofreader is a great way to get paid while working from the comfort of your own home or even during your travels!
I proofread a document while hiking up to Everest Base Camp and it paid for my entire trip.
Who Uses Proofreaders?
Anyone that wants their written content to sound flawless and error-free. Potential clients include website owners, small business owners, writers, bloggers, and local businesses who use online content to build their business.
They all need a proofreader to polish their content.
I found a huge demand for my proofreading services from university students and professors who needed their theses and journals edited.
How Much Can You Earn As A Proofreader?
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average hourly wage for a proofreader is $19.54 an hour and the median annual wage is $40,630, from May 2019.
However, speaking from personal experience, once I gained some experience, my hourly rate was about $30 or more. Once you do a few proofreading jobs online no experience required, then you can move on the better-paid jobs.
How Can You Get Started As A Proofreader?
The Proofread Anywhere course trains you up to become a proofreader and run it as a well-paid business.
The Proofread Anywhere course includes training on:
- proofreading basics
- advanced proofreading methods
- how and where to find jobs
- what rate to set and
- common mistakes to avoid
Caitlin is the lady who runs the course and she has been a proofreader since 2007. She turned her love for proofreading into a full-time job and now helps others do the same.
The Proofread Anywhere course is packed with 40+ lessons in 8 modules, grammar-specific worksheets, and real-life example jobs.
After passing with 90% or higher on the final exam you will receive a Certificate of Completion and access to the Self-Publishing School Preferred Outsourcer Rolodex.
Ps; Caitlin is offering a FREE Proofreading workshop that will help you learn the basic skills and decide on whether freelance editing is for you.
Some other really useful tools that will help you succeed are :
The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation – a straight to the point guide that will help you master the English grammar.
Grammarly – This tool is amazing and it’s FREE. It finds all the errors for you and you just need to review and ensure the language flows naturally.
How To Increase Your Rate As A Proofreader
1.Set Up A Professional Editing Website
You can set up a professional website for, or less than $5 a month, and you don’t need to be good at technology.
Learn to be a proofreader that works in a specific field. Use your background and experience to proofread documents in specific niches.
For example, my background is law and finance, so I have expertise and knowledge to proofread documents in these fields.
If you worked in sales and marketing, or even engineering, you can proofread magazines, online publications, books, and even theses related to these fields.
You can then search for specific proofreading jobs online no experience required in those specific fields.
3.Offer Extra Services
You can offer extra services like reference checking, formatting, and paraphrasing, which can increase your rate dramatically.
4. Cold Pitch
If you want to attract higher-paying clients, a good option is to do cold pitching.
This may seem scary at first, as you are the one approaching the business owner and they haven’t published a job opportunity.
But, this doesn’t mean they don’t need you. With this tactic, you can get good-paying clients that get impressed by your motivation, portfolio, and proactiveness.
This tactic works well if you:
- Have a professional proofreading website where the client can see your profile and portfolio.
- Send an email where you highlight how you can help the client and have understood their needs.
- Have a clear package of services to offer.
For example, here is an example when I pitched for a writing job:
You can adapt this example for your proofreading pitch and get those clients on board!
Things To Bear In Mind As A Proofreader
1.Deadline Date And Pricing
Always ask the client the deadline date and price it accordingly. If a client needs the document within 1-2 days, you can double your price.
Even if you are completing proofreading jobs from home no experience required, be firm about your rate if a client wants you to work under significant time pressure.
2.Resistance To Price
There will be a few clients that will be resistant to your pricing. This is normal.
Stand your ground and be firm but professional.
If you want a really good response that normally always gets them to agree with your pricing, email me and I will send it to you.
Some clients will come back to you after you have proofread their work advising they need further proofreading because their research paper or thesis wasn’t accepted due to errors.
They will ask you to rework the document or give them a refund.
But then, once you look at the document, you may notice they have added paragraphs through the text which didn’t exist when you edited the document.
Don’t fall for this trick. Advise the client you will re-proofread, it if they re-pay you.
They tampered with your work and now want you to fix it. No thanks
Proofreading work from home is a great way to earn an income flexibly from any location. It has given me the physical, and financial freedom I’ve always dreamed about.
Proofreading Jobs Online No Experience FAQS
How Do I Become A Proofreader With No Experience?
If you want to become a proofreader the best thing you can do is to take a proofreading training course, such as the Proofread Anywhere.
There you will learn the basics of proofreading, advanced proofreading methods and the most common mistakes to avoid!
What Qualifications Do You Need To Be A Proofreader?
For some proofreading jobs, you don’t need a bachelor’s degree, the basic qualifications you need to have is a good understanding of English grammar and spelling.
Furthermore, you also should have high attention to detail and be able to create coherent content.
However, bear in mind some academic or technical proofreading jobs DO require you to have a bachelor’s degree or technical knowledge.
How Much Do Beginners Proofreaders Make?
Beginner proofreaders can make between $15 to $20 per hour.
However, according to ZipRecruiter the average freelance proofreader’s annual salary in the United States is $51,391 a year, which is roughly $24.71 an hour.
But, in general, a proofreader salary will vary based on the proofreader’s skills level, the client budget, the number of words, deadline, and how technical the content to edit is.
Note: If you are a freelance beginner looking to find the best job for you, and want proven tactics on how to thrive as a freelancer, check my Finding Freelance Jobs (For Beginners) Masterclass.
There you will learn:
- Learn the exact process I followed to secure various freelance jobs.
- How to set up a professional freelance profile and create work samples that clients LOVE.
- Pitching templates I used to get hired and increase my rate and exclusive insight from an Upwork expert on secret strategies to succeed on Upwork!
If you are looking for alternative ways to earn money from home, read these articles:
- 20 Best Stay At Home Jobs
- How to Become an Online Teacher (and earn $6,000 per month!)
- How to Become a Virtual Assistant With No Experience
- How to Become a Freelance Social Media Manager
- How to Make Money on Etsy
- How to Make Money Blogging
- How to Become a Freelance Artist
- How to Make Money on Instagram with 1,000 Followers
It is entirely possible to find proofreading jobs online no experience required using some of the websites mentioned above.
Don’t let a lack of experience be a barrier to you working and earning from home.
Liked this article?