If you are reading this, it is likely you googled the term ‘ best proofreading jobs online no experience required’.
To be honest, when I started as a freelance proofreader, I did exactly the same!
I didn’t have experience, but I wanted to find all the online proofreading jobs for beginners, so I could get paid from the comfort of my own home.
I am going to walk you through the basics of how to become a proofreader and also where to find all the best proofreading jobs online no experience required.
- How to Become an Online Proofreader (9 Easy Steps)
- How to Become a Freelance Editor with No Experience
- How to Become a Well-Paid Freelance Writer
- How to Become a Freelance Writer with No Experience
- How to Become a Freelance Translator
- 17 Best Places to Find Freelance Writing Jobs for Beginners
DISCLOSURE: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS, MEANING I GET A COMMISSION IF YOU DECIDE TO MAKE A PURCHASE THROUGH MY LINKS, AT NO COST TO YOU. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT
What is a proofreader?
A proofreader refines the grammar, spelling mistakes, and punctuation in a writing piece. It is a proofreader’s responsibility to ensure the written text flows properly and corresponds within in-house style guidelines.
There has been an increased demand for proofreaders, as more and more people are reading information online resulting in a dramatic increase in demand for online content.
The knock-on effect has been an increase in proofreading jobs online no experience required.
A proofreader is a great way to get paid while working from the comfort of your own home or even during your travels!
I proofread a document while hiking up to Everest Base Camp and it paid for my entire trip.
Who Uses Proofreaders?
Anyone that wants their written content to sound flawless and error-free. Potential clients include website owners, small business owners, writers, bloggers, and local businesses who use online content to build their business.
They all need a proofreader to polish their content.
I found a huge demand for my proofreading services from university students and professors who needed their theses and journals edited.
How much can you earn as a proofreader?
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average hourly wage for a proofreader is $19.54 an hour and the median annual wage is $40,630, from May 2019.
However, speaking from personal experience, once I gained some experience, my hourly rate was about $30 or more. Once you do a few proofreading jobs online no experience required, then you can move on the better-paid jobs.
How can you get started as a proofreader?
The Proofread Anywhere course trains you up to become a proofreader and run it as a well-paid business.
The Proofread Anywhere course includes training on:
- proofreading basics
- advanced proofreading methods
- how and where to find jobs
- what rate to set and
- common mistakes to avoid
Caitlin is the lady who runs the course and she has been a proofreader since 2007. She turned her love for proofreading into a full-time job and now helps others do the same.
The Proofread Anywhere course is packed with 40+ lessons in 8 modules, grammar-specific worksheets, and real-life example jobs.
After passing with 90% or higher on the final exam you will receive a Certificate of Completion and access to the Self-Publishing School Preferred Outsourcer Rolodex.
Ps; Caitlin is offering a FREE Proofreading workshop that will help you learn the basic skills and decide on whether freelance editing is for you.
Some other really useful tools that will help you succeed are :
The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation – a straight to the point guide that will help you master the English grammar.
Grammarly – This tool is amazing and it’s FREE. It finds all the errors for you and you just need to review and ensure the language flows naturally.
Best Proofreading Jobs Online No Experience Required
Most of the jobs below don’t require experience but some do, however, if you want to know how to get some experience so you can increase your rate, please read how I did so below:
Best Proofreading Jobs Online No Experience Required
- Cactus Communications– Editing for medical documents
- Sibia–Proofreading services for students, professors, authors, and much more.
- Proofreading Services. com
- com– Full or part-time work available
- Words RU
- Polished Paper
- Book in a Box– Editing for books
- Resume Edge– Proofread resumes from home
- Scribbr– Must be a native English speaker to apply (Open to US/Canada/UK/Australia)
- Quality Proofreading– Prefer proofreaders with a background in science, engineering, business, and management.
Job Boards to Find Best Proofreading Jobs Online No Experience Required
- Problogger –A great job board that will allow you to find online proofreading jobs online no experience
- Fiverr– Great range of jobs available
- Upwork– A great freelance job board that will help you find suitable proofreading jobs online no experience
- Flex jobs
- Guru – Has some great proofreading jobs work from home opportunities
- People per Hour – You can find some great proofreading jobs from home on this site
- Virtual Vocations
How to Increase Your Rate as a Proofreader
- Set up a professional editing website
You can set up a professional website for or less than $5 a month, and you don’t need to be good at technology.
- Niche down
Learn to be a proofreader that works in a specific field. Use your background and experience to proofread documents in specific niches.
For example, my background is law and finance, so I have expertise and knowledge to proofread documents in these fields.
If you worked in sales and marketing, or even engineering, you can proofread magazines, online publications, books, and even theses related to these fields.
You can then search for specific proofreading jobs online no experience required in those specific fields.
- Offer extra services
You can offer extra services like reference checking, formatting, and paraphrasing, which can increase your rate dramatically.
Things to bear in mind as a proofreader
- Deadline date and pricing
Always ask the client the deadline date and price it accordingly. If a client needs the document within 1-2 days, you can double your price.
Even if you are completing proofreading jobs from home no experience required, be firm about your rate if a client wants you to work under significant time pressure.
- Resistance to price
There will be a few clients that will be resistant to your pricing. This is normal.
Stand your ground and be firm but professional.
If you want a really good response that normally always gets them to agree with your pricing, email me and I will send it to you.
- Client scams
Some clients will come back to you after you have proofread their work advising they need further proofreading because their research paper or thesis wasn’t accepted due to errors.
They will ask you to rework the document or give them a refund.
But then, once you look at the document, you may notice they have added paragraphs through the text which didn’t exist when you edited the document.
Don’t fall for this trick. Advise the client you will re-proofread, it if they re-pay you.
They tampered with your work and now want you to fix it. No thanks
Proofreading work from home is a great way to earn an income flexibly from any location. It has given me the physical, and financial freedom I’ve always dreamed about.
If you are looking for alternative ways to earn money from home, read these articles:
- 20 Best Stay At Home Jobs
- How to Become an Online Teacher (and earn $6,000 per month!)
- How to Become a Virtual Assistant With No Experience
- How to Become a Freelance Social Media Manager
- How to Make Money on Etsy
- How to Make Money Blogging
- How to Become a Freelance Artist
- How to Make Money on Instagram with 1,000 Followers
It is entirely possible to find proofreading jobs online no experience required using some of the websites mentioned above.
Don’t let a lack of experience be a barrier to you working and earning from home.
Liked this article?